Mission: to build opportunities for other people to learn, make and inspire(and hack, break, fail & all the other components of innovation and creation)
- adult enthusiasts (aka hobbyists)
- prototyping entrepreneurs
- Students (of all ages) who want to learn new skills
- community organizations
Purpose: Promote makers and making by sharing knowledge, space, equipment and talent
- September – Incorporated as a non-stock, non-profit in VA, with an all volunteer staff
- September – secured 501(c)3 operating basis through Fiscal Sponsorship with School Factory
- October – held first annual Loudoun County Maker Fair, launched website, successfully funded our first Kickstarter campaign
- November – First members joined
- November & December: Hosted showing of “Maker, the Movie” in Sterling and Leesburg
- First half, 2015: planning, fund-raising, tool-gathering, building membership, negotiating lease
- June 15th: Completed lease, begin space prep
- Aug 1: Ribbon Cutting ceremony!
- Makerspace now open!
- Location: 71 Lawson Rd in Leesburg VA:
- Member hours 24/7/365. Non-members “drop-in” hours 6-9M on Tuesdays & Thursdays.
- Making things all the time
- Moving from starter location at Lawson Rd into larger space at 106 Royal St SW Leesburg, VA 20175. To be known as Makersmiths Leesburg
- Setting up new location leased from Town of Purcellville. Location has 7,500 sf of buildings on little over 13 acres. To be known as Makersmiths Purcellville it is at 17760 Telegraph Springs Rd, Purcellville, VA 20132 (per Google Maps) or 875 S. 20th Street, Purcellville VA 20132 (per Town of Purcellville).
- July: won the Purcellville 4th of July parade Liberty Cup! Team lead by Mike Fistler created a "cow train" decorated with banners, lights, and blaring patriotic music. Wooo Hooo!
- October: Lots of activity with etching pumpkins and pumpkin pies at Makersmiths-Leesburg. Also having lots of fun with Open Houses on First Fridays. Bee Hive of activity at Makersmiths-Purcellville with transforming upper building into a makerspace with multi-purpose meeting room, wood shop, and metal shop. Also transforming lower building with hot shop (kilns, forge) and frame shop.
- Celebrating growth to over 100 Members.