The Woodshop rooms at Makersmiths provide tools for a variety of woodworking tasks from dimensioning rough lumber to assembling finished products. The Royal Street and Purcellville locations have woodshop rooms, each with its own specific set of tools. There are common rules and guidelines that apply to both facilities and guidelines/rules for individual tools at each space.
- All persons who use woodshop tools must have taken the general Green Tools Orientation course
- All persons using tools in the woodshop must have Red Tool Training specific to the tool. Red tools are identified with a label, but include any tool that can cause significant harm if used improperly such as table saws, band saws, lathes, planers, etc.
- Proper eye protection is required at all times in the woodshop when tools are in operation, even for those not directly using a tool
- Hearing protection is required at all times in the woodshop when tools are in operation, even for those not directly using a tool
Leave the Woodshop better than you found it:
- clean up all project debris using the provided trash bins/scrap containers
- vacuum all tools and floor to clean up dust and debris
- check tool condition, notify the room steward if tools are broken or need replacement parts
- You break it you buy it. For example, if you trigger the SawStop you will need to buy a replacement cartridge and new blade. Check with the room steward for details.