Website, Design & Maintenance Committee Notes: May 2021
Jessee Maloney & Maggie Toth
- Added Folders & Photos for Newsletter Committee: Melissa K. requested folders in the Wild Apricot resources folder for each of the upcoming months so the newsletter committee could keep organized. With Melissa’s restricted WA access, she couldn’t do it on her own. Jessee added a folder for each month until April 2022 and numbered them so they would be in chronological order. While talking during this progress, we both also decided to add another folder for equipment “glamour shots” to be used in various upcoming newsletters. So Jessee also set up an Equipment folder with sub folders for all of the major pieces of equipment as well as a misc. one for smaller equipment. Photos will be added periodically when we have them. These photos can also be used for the Blog and Facebook.
- Time Spent: 1 Hour
- A Form to Submit Requests and Ideas to the Website Committee: To keep track of and streamline requests, Jessee made a google form and placed it under “Members Only Content | Committee Requests & Idea Forms” The spreadsheet for this form can be found under the Website Committees folder in our GSuite. You can find the form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfGrqMaSniiE7VvnqQEcErkOKaEGt5LjoE-tkjLLUT1GTkA8A/viewform?usp=sf_link
- Time Spent: 45 minutes
- Welding Reservation Page Temporarily Disabled: By request of Jim W., Jessee made the Welding Reservation page admin only until a proper reservation calendar is added
- Time Spent: 1 minute
- Members Only Content was Reorganized: After adding the Committee form page, Jessee went through and reorganized the Members Only Content so it would be easier to find everything and the most used/or important links were shown first.
- Time Spent: 30 minutes
- Wiki Button was Moved: After some thought and suggestions, the Wiki link was moved to the "Get to Know Us" menu. It couldn't be housed in the main menu anymore because new members were not able to see the Members Only Content menu as easily when logging in. With the movement of the Wiki link, you can now see all of the menus when logged in as a member.
- Time Spent: 1 minute
- A Committee Menu was Added to the Member Only Content Menu: After adding the Committee form page mentioned above, Jessee realized that all committee information should have it's own menu section. By adding this sub-menu, Jessee was able to add a page showing the most current list of committees, when they meet, who is the chair, etc. She did this in hopes of making it easier for new members (and old) to get their volunteer hours in. This change will also be added to the New Member Orientation slides and we will suggest new members log in and get to know the Members Only Content section of the website.
- Time Spent: 20 minutes
- A "Newsletter" Saved Search was Created: Melissa K. took over the Newsletter Committee and to help her streamline her process, Jessee created a saved search in WA and called it "newsletter". the saved search includes every type of current member. The newsletter was sent out minutes later and Jessee checked the logs and everything worked perfectly
- Time Spent: 5 minutes
- Laser Reservation Page got a face lift: Due to some complaints about the calendar not fully being shown when on a mobile device, and the reservation link not being easier to find, the reservation page got a face life. The calendar was made skinnier, so you can see all of the days of the week on a mobile device. Though, it's also skinny on the desktop view. No way around that currently. The reservation form link was also moved to the top of the page, as well as reservation rules and links to pay for laser time on the website.
- Time Spent: 30 minutes
- A Marketing and Membership Menu was Added to the Member Only Content Menu: Scott Newman put in a request through the website request form for a form to be made for both the marketing and membership committees to help members submit ideas.
- Time Spent: 15 minutes
- A Form to Submit Requests and Ideas to the Marketing and Membership Committee: This goes along with the above request. To keep track of and streamline requests, Jessee made a google form and placed it under “Members Only Content | Committee Requests & Idea Forms” The spreadsheet for this form can be found under the Website Committees folder in our GSuite. and all committee members have been sent an email with the link to the sheet of responses.
- Time Spent: 15 minutes
- 2021 Board of Directors Candidates Page: Jessee updated the page with the new year, took down last year's list of people and added Erin Werling's info to point possible candidates in the right direction. The page will be updated again once a list of possible candidates is given to her.
- Updated since April 2021: I have added Chris Chatfield, Ed Gabb and Scott Newman as candidates and their bio's/letters of intent.
- Time Spent: 25 minutes
- Youtube Tours for Leesburg & Purcellville added to the Get to Know Us Page: By request of Scott N. both new tour videos that were added to YouTube by the Video Committee were embedded into the Get to Know Us page.
- Time Spent: 20 minutes.
- YouTube Link Moved: the YouTube link was moved from under classes to under Get to Know Us.
- Time Spent: 2 minutes
In Progress Tasks:
- Adding Calendars for Other Heavily Used Tools: Jessee is working on adding calendars for the Big Blue, Big Red, Tormach and upcoming Flatbed UV Printer. Testing has already started and she is still working on making it as easy for everyone involved and to make sure there are no glitches before putting them live.
- Updated since April: Ian Dillingham has offered to help write scripts to automate this process.
- Time Spent So Far: 2.5 Hours
- Update stewards list on website: I have started updating this list on both the website and the New Member Orientation slides but need a definite list.
- Time Spent So Far: 20 minutes
- Refresh the slideshow on the TV’s in both locations: Covid rules, new classes and upcoming events
- Time Spent So Far: 25 minutes
- Full Member Request Form: new form is done and just needs to be embedded and email recipients added
- Updated since April: Waiting to see if this is exactly what the membership committee and board wants, or if they would prefer a different way
- Time Spent So Far: 30 minutes
- Various Committee Requests & Ideas Forms: After the Website Committee set up their form, it was suggested that each committee be given the chance to also have a form and a sub folder in Members Only Content
- Update: Website and Newsletter committee added. Marketing committee doesn't want one.
- Time Spent So Far: 45 minutes
- List of Committees Page was Added to the Website: As part of the push to get more people to volunteer on committees, an entire section about them was added to the Members Only Content on the website. This page lists all of the current committees, their chairperson, members, meeting times, purpose and more. Since we are relying on each committee chair to provide the information (better than guessing and searching it out) this will be an ongoing project until everyone submits a response.
- Time Spent So Far: 1.5 hours
- New About Us Page to be used as landing page from online ads and articles: This was a request from the Marketing Committee who wanted a new landing page that describes right away what we are, who we are, what kind of equipment we have, upcoming events and more. This way we can 1) give prospective member who clicked an ad or article on Facebook as much info as possible in one place. 2) we can see how many hits the page has since it won’t be in the menu and only viewed from the link.
- Time Spent So Far: 1 hour.
- Update the About Us Page with info that Diane P. put together
- Refresh the slideshow on the website front page
- Refresh the flyer for upcoming events now that we are getting vaccinated: New tour times/dates, open houses, etc
- New photos/designs for possible facebook ads: Targeted ads for when we reopen
- Update Leesburg Map: in progress Cosplay area needs added, as well as the small CNC room switched to the Member Storage Area
Please direct future to-do list items here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfGrqMaSniiE7VvnqQEcErkOKaEGt5LjoE-tkjLLUT1GTkA8A/viewform?usp=sf_link
instead of sending a SLACK message or email. This way we can keep better records in a spreadsheet. Also, if you don’t ask, it may not get done, we are not mind readers over here !!
Also, please note that large projects may require a virtual meetup. We both work from home and are open to different times and days.