Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Time and Location:


August 25, 2019 at 7:00PM at 106 Royal Street NE, Leesburg, VA

Consent Agenda


Newly proposed agenda items appear in the consent agenda. Any member present at the meeting may pull an item out of the consent agenda for discussion, at which point it goes under "New Business". If nobody objects to the solutions presented by the consent agenda, everything in the consent agenda passes by consensus. Items that have more than one proposed solution should be moved to the "New Business" section.

Any member may edit this wiki page and place an item on the agenda. However, discussion of agenda items should be done via Slack. The cut-off time for addition to or revision of the consent agenda items is 48 hours prior to the meeting. Please note, agenda items (Consent, New, or Old) that request spending $250 or more must include a section on "Relevance to our tax exempt purpose".

CA1 Appointment of New Treasurer (John Dubelko)

Problem: Mary Waldron would like to take over the duties of Treasurer.  I have worked with her on the books and confident in filling this position. 

Solution: Appoint Mary Waldron as the new treasurer

Relevance to our tax exempt status: None

Motion: Appoint Mary Waldron as the new treasurer with all the duties and responsibilities that go along with the position.

CA2 Appointment of Membership Committee Chairperson (Mark R Millsap )

Problem:  Makersmiths is in need of an active Membership Committee and a Chairperson to lead the committee.

Solution:  Appoint Mark Millsap as Membership Committee Chairperson.

Relevance to our tax exempt status: None


Officer Reports:


Treasurer

Financial Statement


Member Reports:


None

Committee Reports:


New Member Orientation Committee (Chairperson Jessica Maloney)

Membership Committee (Vacant)

Social Outreach Committee:  (Chairperson Jessica Maloney)

Leesburg Facility Committee (Chairperson Brad Hess)

Purcellville Facility Committee (Chairperson Tom Hill)

Scheduling Committee (Chairperson Diane DeMott Painter)

Special Projects Committee (Chairperson Mike Werling)

Welding Committee (Chairman Arthur 'Skip' Smith)

Old Business:


None


New Business:


NB1 Policy Regarding Automobile Repair (James Waldron )

Problem: Working on Automobiles - should this be allowed?

Solution:  Determination by the board.  I don't think any of us generally have a problem with someone driving their car to the space, especially PV, and doing simple maintenance work - changing a belt or spark plugs, shocks, and other small maintenance items that can be completed in a few hours.  Do we want to allow vehicles to be left on site, and if so, for what period?  How much tear-down and repair is appropriate?  How do we feel about kit car construction and other multi month projects.  Do we have concerns about donor vehicles that may remain on-site in various states of being parted out?

Relevance to our tax exempt status: None

Proposed Motion: Auto repair is not appropriate at Makersmiths, OR, Auto repair is allowed at Makersmiths if the project can be completed withing an 8 hour window (or some other time frame), OR, Major automobile construction and repair is allowed at Makersmiths (i.e failure of one of the above motions).  (Any motion allowing work to be subject to the 'no damage' rule which would also apply to disposal of fluids.)

NB2 Policy Regarding Growing Plants and/or Flowers (James Waldron )

Problem: Flowers

Solution:  Our lease prohibits raising or agricultural products for consumption at our MS-P site.  We have had a couple of requests from members to have flowers, or flowers in containers at MS-L and/or MS-P.  Flowers can certainly brighten up a property, but weeds and dead flowers can be an eyesore.

Relevance to our tax exempt status: None

Proposed Motion:  In ground or Container Flowers are permitted at MS-L and MS-P provided that, no agricultural products for human consumption are grown and that all plans are pre-approved by the relevant Facility Committee.

NB3 Request For Funds: Woodturning Lathes (Bryan Boston )

Problem: With the moving of Electronics room to back area of Leesburg space and old electronics room converting over to a woodturning room Makersmiths is in need of some Midsize lathes with variable speed control. Currently lathes available are colocated Bryan Boston Rikon midsize 1hp variable speed, colocated Michael James Jet mini 1/2 hp belt driven and Makersmiths Delta midsize 3/4 belt driven. In my opinion with 2 additional midsize 1hp variable speed lathes it will provide members the equipment to turn larger projects with better equipment. The smaller lathes can possibly go to Purcellville space. 

Solution: Through my woodturning club https://catoctinareaturners.org/v5/ I'm in contact with two members that are selling their midsize lathes. The first lathe is a Jet 1221VS with stand new retail $1,120 for sale $700. This lathe is as new condition as my friend bought a much larger lathe not long after this purchase. The second is another Rikon lathe like mine 70-220VSR with stand and Nova G3 Chuck. This is in good condition with a sale price of $450. I would like Makerspace to purchase this as I would not have funds to do so and we will loose out on a great price for this lathe. With moving to the new space for turning and 3 midsize lathe I will be able to hold more students per project classes to come like turning a bowl with a price tag of around $100 per student which I would use to pay off the $450 Rikon and then paying me back the $700 for the Jet so that Makersmiths will own two of the 3 midsize lathes in the Leesburg space. I have more planned that I would like to do with the woodturning space and having better equipment will provide students with confidence to come use the great equipment. To date with Intro to Woodturning minus expenses I have raised for Makersmiths $326.65. I want Makersmiths to have a better woodturning experience than Woodcraft which has belt driven lathes.

Relevance to our tax exempt status: Unknown

Proposed Motion:

Adjournment

Minutes: 


==Minutes=

7:00PM Call to Order

Attendance:

NamePositionBoard ClassRoll Call
Brad Hess (Brad Hess)
Board Member, Chairperson

2

Excused
Brandon Bullis (Brandon Bullis)
Board Member, Secretary1Present
Dave Painter (David Painter)
Board Member3Present
James Waldron (James Waldron)
Board Member2Present
Mark Millsap (Mark R Millsap)
Board Member3Unexcused
Erin Werling (Erin Werling)
Board Member1Present
Michael James (Michael James)
Board Member1Present


====
***CONSENT AGENDA - ***
Passed by consensus


**OLD BUSINESS**
None


**NEW BUSINESS**

NB1 Poicy on Automobile Repair
- AS WRITTEN: 
- DISCUSSION:  Item withdrawn by submitter James Waldron 

NB2 Topic  

Policy Regarding Growing Plants and/or Flowers (James Waldron )

- AS WRITTEN:  In ground or Container Flowers are permitted at MS-L and MS-P provided that, no agricultural products for human consumption are grown and that all plans are pre-approved by the relevant Facility Committee.
- DISCUSSION:
  - Speaker1:  PV lease prohibits agricultural products for human consumption
  - Speaker2:
- Motion: In ground or Container Flowers are permitted at MS-L and MS-P provided that, no agricultural products for human consumption are grown and that all plans are pre-approved by the relevant Facility Committee.
   - Proposed by : James Waldron
   - Seconded by : David Painter
-Call for vote
   -  In favor:  James WaldronDavid PainterBrandon BullisMichael James Erin WerlingBrad Hess (by Proxy), 
   -  Opposed:  None
   -  Abstain:  None
   -  Motion Pass/Fail:  PASS

NB3 Topic
- AS WRITTEN:  See above
- DISCUSSION:
  - Speaker1:
  - Speaker2:
- Motion: Approve $450 expense for the purchase of preowned Rikon Lathe
   - Proposed by : James Waldron  
   - Seconded by :  David Painter
-Call for vote
   -  In favor:   James WaldronDavid PainterBrandon BullisMichael James Erin WerlingBrad Hess (by Proxy), 
   -  Opposed:  None
   -  Abstain:  None
   -  Motion Pass/Fail:  PASS
====

Next meeting set for October 30, 2019 at 7:00PM at 785  S.20th . Street, Purcellville, VA


9:03PM Meeting called to close

Action Items:


StatusItem DescriptionResponsible Party
  •  


  •  


  •  


  •  


  •  


Approved Spending Tracking: 


AmountToFrom
$450equipment purchasegeneral












  • No labels