Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Time and Location:


March 31, 2021 at Virtual Meeting - 7:00pm.  Called to order at 7:08

Call to Order



Call to Order
Attendance:

NamePositionBoard Year in TermRoll Call
Brad Hess (Brad Hess)
Board Member, Chairperson

3

N
Brandon Bullis (Brandon Bullis)
Board Member2Y
Dave Painter (David Painter)
Board Member1Y
James Waldron (James Waldron)
Board Member3Y
Jonathan White (Jonathan White )
Board Member, Secretary1Y
Erin Werling (Erin Werling)
Board Member2Y
Michael James (Michael James)
Board Member2Y

Consent Agenda


Newly proposed agenda items appear in the consent agenda. Any member present at the meeting may pull an item out of the consent agenda for discussion, at which point it goes under "New Business". If nobody objects to the solutions presented by the consent agenda, everything in the consent agenda passes by consensus. Items that have more than one proposed solution should be moved to the "New Business" section.Any member may propose an item on the agenda. However, discussion of agenda items should be done via Slack. The cut-off time for addition to or revision of the consent agenda items is 48 hours prior to the meeting. Please note, agenda items (Consent, New, or Old) that request spending $250 or more must include a section on "Relevance to our tax exempt purpose".

CA1: Full Memberships (Scott Newman)

Problem:

1) Bob Craig is an Associate Member that is requesting election to Full membership. He and his wife Sara Zeller would both be members. Bob writes: "I would like the Board to please consider converting my membership to a Full Membership.  In addition to the Tour and New Member orientation, Sara Zeller and I have reviewed and understand Bylaws and Standing Rules, volunteer expectations, and community spirit of the makerspace.  I am very excited to join the community and make stuff!  This is a wonderful space that has been created and I am excited to join this community."

2) Grace Pakkianathan is an Associate Member that is requesting election to Full membership. She and her husband Stan would both be members and work with their teenage sons in the spaces. Grace writes: "Please also upgrade our membership to full membership.  We understand the bylaws, standing rules, volunteer expectations and community spirit of the makerspace.  We are looking forward as a family to becoming more involved and working on projects."

3) Dean Williamson is a former Full member that has rejoined us and wishes to resume his Full Membership. He writes: "I understand Bylaws and Standing Rules, volunteer expectations, and community spirit of the makerspace and I am requesting to be reinstated to Full Membership."

4) Melissa Kang is an Associate member  that is requesting election to Full membership. She is already very active in using the space and taking classes and writes "I would like the board to review my request for full membership.  I understand the Bylaws and Standing Rules, volunteer expectations and community spirit of the makerspace and will be an upstanding member of the community!!!".

Solution: Approve Bob Craig's, Grace Pakkianathan's, Dean Williamson's, and Melissa Kang's request for election to Full Membership

Relevance to Tax Exempt Status: None

Motion: Board moves to approve Bob Craig's, Grace Pakkianathan's, Dean Williamson's, and Melissa Kang's requests for election to Full membership.

Discussion: Scott discussed the new member application briefly.  Questions about who had done New Member Orientation already.  Link to apply to be a full member is having issues so Scott has asked the applicants some basic questions.  


CA2: 3D Printing with ABS moved to New Business


CA3: Gift Card Donation(Scott Newman )

Problem/Opportunity: Makersmiths has not yet reached its membership goal of 100 FTE members. A member has asked to purchase a Gift Card for 6 Month Associate Membership and a Red Tool Class to donate to an upcoming silent auction at Hillsboro Charter Academy (HCA). HCA is a Loudoun County Public Schools charter school with a focus on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics). That member has asked if Makersmiths would match his donation and donate a second 6 Month Associate Membership and Red Tool Class. The member said that this is a great opportunity for community outreach, and a chance to reach a like-minded audience that obviously values the same sort of things that we do (since they teach STEAM or send their children to a STEAM program), which could reach or enlighten a whole set of potential evangelists or members.

Solution: Donate a Gift Card to match the one purchased by the member for the Hillsboro Charter Academy silent auction

Relevance to Tax Exempt Status:

Motion: Board moves to approve donating to Hillsboro Charter Academy for their April silent auction one (1) Gift Card for a 6 month Associate Membership and a Red Tool class to match the one purchased for the same purpose by the petitioning member (upon the completion of the purchase by said member).

Discussion: Scott explained the history.  Suggested that Makersmiths match Jared's contribution to the auction.  Jared explained about the school.  Has students from around the area.  Enrollment is 120 students.

CA4:  Sign Permit Fee (John Dubelko)

Problem/Opportunity: The entry sign to Purcellville is in need of replacing. The town requires a permit to be done and the fee is $75

Solution: Pay the permit fee

Relevance to Tax Exempt Status:

Motion: Approve $75 for the permit to replace the road sign at Purcellville

Discussion: John D - we want to replace the sign at the front of PVille.  We have to pay the town for the permit this time.  Probably not worth pushing too hard on this.  


Vote on Consent Agenda: Unanimous Approval


Prior minutes


2021-02 Board Minutes

Vote: All Approved.

Officer Reports:


Chairman: No separate Chairman's report

Secretary: No separate Secretary report

Treasurer:

Income for Feb 11,681.  Donations were mostly in-kind contributions from members.  Members paying for some things and donating them.  Last year we did not show in-kind donations like this but we're changing so that the donations are shown month to month. Lumber Wizard was donated by John D.  Bank account a  year ago was $61k, end of February this year was $68k.  Little over budget YTD.  Rent and Water for Leesburg for February were both paid in January.  Dave reminded everyone that the numbers will look odd year on year because we are on a cash accounting basis.  Discussion of how the in-kind donations are recognized both in the income and expenses.  Class income is up.  Lots of people running workshops which has been helpful.

Financial Statement: 


Member Reports:



Committee Reports:

New Member Orientation Committee (Chairperson Jessica Maloney)

  • Had a few more orientations and going well.

Website Committee (Chairperson Jessica Maloney)

  • Maggie should be back soon to help with Website.
  • We found someone to help with the API - Andres.  Jessie and Scott will be meeting with him to help update the page. 
  • Please send new photos in while team updates the main page.

Membership Committee (Chairperson Scott Newman )

  • Monthly membership report will more closely match financials going forward and be one month behind.
  • Official February statistics now show 80.7 FTE members.
  • There were some overdue memberships- Scott contacted all that were overdue or got them caught up or their memberships were suspended.  Gave time to get people to come back in as best as possible.
  • Membership report shows results of Scott's activity to follow up with members who were in arrears.
  • Thanks to Scott for completing all of this effort.
  • Also following up to find out why people didn't renew.  Consistent response is that the member isn't using it and can't justify the cost.
  • Potential for other membership types to cover people who can't make a long term commitment
  • Scott showed the financial figures for memberships and explained how timing of the funds make a differences
  • Tracking will continue to improve
  • Good to see that we're getting control and information.  Most importantly Scott has done a fantastic job with tours and efforts that the trend is going upwards again.

Social Outreach Committee:  (Chairperson Jessica Maloney)

  • No social outreach at this time.  Suggestion of merging Social Outreach with Marketing.

Leesburg Facility Committee (Chairperson Brad Hess)

  • Brad not able to attend.
  • Shelves added to electronics room.  Hopefully get everything out of the hallway in the next few weeks.

Purcellville Facility Committee (Chairperson Tom Hill)

  • Re-starting monthly workdays beginning next Saturday.  Long list of maintenance to catch up as well as improvements.
  • Thanks to Jason Hill who dragged manholes to front of lower buildings to improve look of lower building.

Scheduling Committee (Chairperson Diane DeMott Painter)

  • No committee report this month.

Special Projects Committee (Chairperson Mike Werling)

  • No committee report this month.
  • Leesburg is having the Flower and Garden show.  Mary W reached out to see if we could still get a spot and we haven't heard back yet.

Welding Committee (Chairperson Arthur 'Skip' Smith))

  • No committee report this month.

Newsletter Committee (Chairperson Diane DeMott Painter)

  • Mrs. Kowalski taking over.

IT Committee Chairperson Michael James)

  • Fios Modem is still down. We need to get some information about that account so we can get it back up. We are running solely on the Cox modem and we are still separated on some of the computers (Laser computer is on the Cox wifi and can't get to the NAS storage).
  • We have another WiFi Access Point if we need additional coverage at Purcellville or at Leesburg. I need some help getting the Ubiquity AP back on line. Just haven't had time to figure it out. It was linked into the member database and the special logins, but now just needs to be used for standard shared WiFi. 
  • 3D Printing has been challenged to get some air filtration so we may need to look at relocating the 3D printing room and/or getting some air circulation in the room. Alternate solution is to use the Plastic Roll and 8020 material in MSP to create an enclosed cabinet for the printers.  NOTES NOTE2  NOTE3  NOTE4

Video Committee (Chairperson Adam "Squirrl" McClintock)

  • No committee report this month.
  • Dave will speak to Squirrl about getting video tours some
  • There are new members who could possibly help.

Custom Frame Shop Committee (Chairperson Anthony Lesink)

  • No committee report this month

Radio Club Committee (Chairperson Allon Stern )

  • No committee report this month

Old Business:


OB1: Town of Purcellville Train Station Kiosk (@Stosh)

Problem: The Town of Purcellville wants to build a kiosk for the historic train station.

SolutionThrough my association with the Town of Purcellville Planning Commission, I was contacted by a member of the Town of Purcellville’s Train Station Advisory Board (TSAB). TSAB is interested in hiring the Makerspace to create a product. The City of  Manassas has a kiosk located at their historic train station and TSAB would like to have a similar one made to place at the Purcellville train station. Unfortunately, Manassas has no records on who created theirs or when, and does not have plans.

TSAB is offering Makersmiths the opportunity to build the kiosk. TSAB has funds to expend on this which they must execute by May 2021. I’ve made no commitment to TSAB aside from telling them I would take their proposal to the Makersmith’s Board. A few pictures are attached on the following page, and I have a half dozen more for reference should the Board decide to go forward with it. The kiosk is metal, not wood (and I cited Makersmiths having few metalworkers compared to our number of woodworkers as a reason we might not be able to take it on). TSAB is also open to a little artistic license or suggested improvements, such as adding a solar panel, battery and lights.  If we have the means and personnel, I suggest this would be a way to get local recognition (I’m sure the town would help with local media and probably would have a ribbon cutting) and give back to the community (while being reimbursed for the effort). Should Makersmiths not choose to do this as an organization, I’ll forward this to our members who are metalsmiths and see if they’d want to take it on a job.

Relevance to our tax exempt status: N/A

Motion: I propose that Makersmiths commit to working with the TSAB to build the kiosk at the historic train station.

Discussion: Stosh described the ask from the Town of Purcellville a little bit further.  Dave said that metal will be expensive, but that we don't necessarily have the right tools to make some of the parts.  Stosh said that the town is open to ideas.  Dave believes the metal and processing would be a few thousand dollars even before processing and manufacturing.  Stosh can find out what their budget is.  Christa asked about the impacts on non-profit status - Dave and John said there is no issue.  Would be interesting to use the project to get people interested in the project.  Could potentially get enough from the project to purchase another tool for the shop.  Dave will put a better estimate of costs together.  Lot of upside for both sides.

Vote: Postponed - Dave will provide Stosh with estimate that can be taken to Town for validation that they will spend the value required. Stosh will get feedback from the Town.

Follow up on 02-24-2021: Meeting amongst members last night.  Town has the funding to participate.  Project is divided such that people who want to learn metalworking can participate, and those that want to help with solar power and a device to play train sounds is available.  Anyone who wants to be involved and do sheet metal working and welding can go ahead. No need for further vote.

Follow up on 03-31-2021: Dave has ordered steel and it should be available soon. No need for the board to vote as no money being put forward.

OB2: Epson 9890 Plotter (Michael James )

Problem: Starting Ink Set for Epson Stylus Pro 9890 Plotter

Solution: Request for Funds

Relevance to our tax exempt status: None

Proposed Motion: I have a few quotes for third party refillable ink cartridges. I have been requesting donations of the cartridges from various suppliers. Some have offered additional discounts. See attached quotes. I move that we allocate funds in the amount of $750 to get the plotter going. Ink Owl sent an updated proforma quote, Need to check the differences.

 

Discussion: Dave asked if this was an upgrade from the one in PVille.  Michael said it should be better and that it has high quality inks even with non OEM.  They are going to ask the laser repair folks if it is something they would purchase from us.  For the $420, that printer should run for us 2-3 years.  That should last us quite a long time.  It will cost us more to turn it off and back on as we would have to continue cleaning the ink heads.  We can charge for the plotter use like we do in Pville.  Dave suggested we talk at the members meeting about how many people would use the printer.  Let's gather some more information - laser company buying it, getting corporate sponsorship, seeing how much members would pay for use.  

Vote: More information gathering required before voting as above.

Follow up on 02-24-2021: Still under discussion and analysis.  

Follow up on 03-31-2021: Going for three months, Michael and John have donated some ink.  Would be good if the board could approve some cleaning cartridges.  Also needs the cutting blade replaced.  Christa offered to donate and said there are some people she knows who will.  No vote needed on this.  New motion will be proposed at the next board meeting if needed for parts or to change the supply budget.

OB3: Machine Access Controls (James Waldron)

Problem:  We are not currently able to gather machine operating hours or control machine access. Anyone can use any machine whether they have taken Red Tool training or not. This sometimes leads to machine damage and expensive repairs. Lack of usage information means that preventive maintenance is not related to actual machine time, may be overdue, or be performed too often.

Solution: Fit select machines with access controls. Device to allow only authorized users and to log usage information. There are both home grown and commercial options available. Home grown solutions are less expensive but initially have fewer features. Commercial options are more expensive but more fully featured. Integration with our existing systems and data stores are likely easier for home grown solutions, possibly harder for commercial solutions.

Relevance to our tax exempt status:  None

Proposed Motion:  Adopt Machine Controls for Select Machines. Establish a small Machine Control committee to; determine which machines need to be controlled, investigate the current commercial and home grown solutions and select 3, present those to the Board at the February meeting. The Board to select a solution at the February meeting.

Discussion: Jim says he probably has enough parts to build some working prototypes.  Dave - would like to see building a few of these and putting them in place and testing.  We almost had to buy a new tablesaw this week given the Delta organization being onsold multiple times.  This would have been $250 in parts that aren't available anymore.  Jim said it would be made available for Android and iPhone and you would use an app.  It would enable the machine for an hour at a time and sense current that would then extend the machine on time automatically.

Amended Proposed Motion: Establish a small Machine Control committee to test a machine control solution and present the results and proposed costs to the Board at the February meeting. 

Vote: Unanimous in favor.

Follow up on 02-24-2021: Delays due to snow storms but not ready to demo yet.

Follow up on 03-31-2021: Jim showed the prototypes.  Dave suggested we put it on table saw in Pville.  One could be repurposed to make a 3 phase version.  Nothing to vote on at this time.

New Business:


NB1: Press Release Contract (Michael James)

Problem:  Request for marketing funds to fund a set of press releases

Solution: We have been offered a contract for press release services from Graphics and Marketing (GAM). The contract is $385 for setup and $50 for each release. We have to do minimal work to provide them with information for the release. They will professionally write and create the release and submit it to a host of news outlets where they have contacts. I would like the board to approve funds for the startup and for the first 5 releases ($635). This will get us through about 6 months of releases at which time we can evaluate the effectiveness and decide whether to continue or not. As we are putting together quite a group to work on marketing, this will work in parallel and push the effort forward.

 

Relevance to our tax exempt status: None

Proposed Motion:  Propose that we sign the contract and fund the initiative in the amount of $635.

Discussion: Michael covered what's in the proposal.  Jim asked about how we would track the responses.  If we put a unique link in the press release we can see how many people went to it.  Company will give us suggestions of things to do a press release on.  We give them data and they will write up the release.  We give them photos and information and they do the write up after we give them the salient points.  Other questions on how it will be tracked and how we will determine success.  Discussion of whether we need a more comprehensive marketing plan before we spend money on this.  Nation of Makers suggests doing press releases.  Discussion of topics for and frequency of press releases.  Makers creating businesses during the pandemic from their experience at the space.  

Vote: More information required.  Michael and Jonathan will work on a summary.

NB2: IT Committee Request for funds (Michael James)

Problem:  Software and Systems around the spaces are in need of an update.

Solution: Tech Soup and other sources for software and computers. Corel Draw 2020 $125/license, 4 licenses. Adobe Creative Suite Annual Subscription $366/license, 1 license. 3 HP Micro Desktops Elite Desk Gen5 $600/ea. The IT Department has a Budget in Mar, May, and Aug of $1500, total. The IT Department also raised $1300.00 from the two auctions. This should cover the items we are requesting.

QtyDescriptionPriceExtension
4Corel Draw 2020$125.00$500.00
1Adobe Creative Cloud Annual Subscription$366.00$366.00
3HP Elitedesk Gen 5 Micro PC (i5-9500, 128GB SSD, 8GBRAM)$600.00$1,800.00
1Misc Cables (HDMI, Multi Card Reader, USB Extension)$100.00$100.00
Total

$2,766.00

Relevance to our tax exempt status: None

Proposed Motion:  Propose that we fund the IT committee for the upgrades.

Discussion: Michael went over how the funds would be used.  Adobe comes with 2 licenses.  3D Printing computer would be replaced and two new machines would be added.  Two would be for general use.  Have budget of $1500 and raised $1300 from the auction.

Jim seconded the motion 

Vote: All voted in favor.

NB3: UV Printer Acquisition (John Dubelko)

Problem: Makersmiths has prospered over the last few years and needs to invest in new equipment to continue to grow. Several members are requesting that a UV printer be part of this recapitalization. A small group of members has done the research and believes that this machine's purchase is viable and will be used regularly and pay for itself in 5-6 years. Members have committed to developing the red tool training, running these classes, and maintaining this new equipment.  

SolutionProcure a Roland LEF2-200 with a rotary tool, vacuum table, and BOFA fume extractor

Relevance to our tax exempt status: None

Proposed Motion:  This is a two-part motion. If the first is accepted, then the second part is considered. 
Motion 1 : Procure a Roland LEF2-200 with a rotary tool, vacuum table, and BOFA fume extractor.
Motion 2: Pick which method of payment/financing to procure the equipment:
A)     Accepting the lowest bid and directly pay for the equipment out of the general fund.
B)     Pay for ½ the equipment out of the general fund and finance the remaining balance. Hold a special meeting of the board to convene before April 15, 2021, to approve the financing contract and final price.
C)      Finance the entire purchase.  Hold a special meeting of the board to convene before April 15, 2021, to approve the financing contract.

Discussion: Discussion of  how large the machine is and where it would go. Dave asked whether we want to put all of our funds into this machine or to do other projects.  Lots of discussion and questions on the project.  Comments and questions on how the machine tracks the usage so we can make sure that usage is paid for.

Motion 1: Michael seconds Motion 1.  Vote - 5 votes for, carries the motion

Motion 2: Board agrees to Option C


NB4: ABS Use by 3d printers (Scott Newman) Moved from Consent Agenda

Problem: Member has raised ventilation concerns related to 3D printing, specifically calling out ABS. Specifically: "ABS actually off-gasses toxic fumes.   Since 3D printing at MS-L has never been a high use activity, it really hasn't mattered too much.  Yes, there were the occasional comments or questions, it wasn't at top of mind danger compared to other more pressing issues.   But if the 3D printer room was going to be used with multiple printers going at same time and for substantial amount of time (say several hours in a row...), then ventilation should be on your and the Boards consideration."

Solution: In the short term, ban ABS from use inside Makersmiths facilities (per the excerpt from https://www.makerfleet.com/blog/3d-printer-fumes-and-osha-requirements sent to the Membership Chair). In the long term, ventilation in those spaces that warrant it (3D printing room, Cosplay area, others) should be addressed by a committee formed for this purpose, perhaps rolling this into the effort for building out the Cosplay area.

Relevance to Tax Exempt Status: None

Motion: Board hereby bans the use of ABS for 3D printing inside of unventilated Makersmiths facilities. Board hereby directs <Board Member X> to form a committee to assess ventilation needs within the facilities.

Discussion: Scott explained.  Member raised concerns about ABS fumes being put off by 3D printers. 

Michael - lots of different opinions on the subject online.  If you really read all of the articles they focus on people printing ABS at home where people are inside all day.  They focus on printing all day long.  Some articles say that PLA is more toxic but they are produced in a lower volume.  One consistent line is that resin printers smell, but that they don't put off toxic gasses.  The articles talk about the printing with multiple printers in small rooms all day.  ABS puts off styrene into the air that might irritate your nose or make you dizzy if you're right up there breathing it, but it takes a lot.  There seem to be many, many opinions out there. 

Lots of other items in Makersmiths items make dust and other fumes.  No issue with looking into effects of 3D printing fumes but we probably need to look further into it than we can in this meeting.  

Open Discussion


No Open Discussion

Adjournment

Chairman adjourned 9:27.


  • No labels